Can earthquakes be predicted?

Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 05, 2023

Why we can not measure the quake accurately even after it has occurred?

  I wander how can this happen ,with modern methods of measuring the magnitude of an Earthquake?

The quake of 3rd November, at Nepal is reported as 

6.4 by NEC (National Earthquake center), 

5.7 by USGS

and 5.6 by European units


And beauty of all this ,I was asked ,by several seismologist to predict quake accurately.Even my + or - 0.3 magnitude is not enough.

  When we can not measure the quake after it has already occured ,how can you ask someone to predict accurately, with no margin?

  Think Logical

   Think Out of the Box


1 comment:

Roger Hunter said...

Amit;

Different observatories, different equipment, human error, many reasons. I know; I used to do it at NEIC.

Roger