Can earthquakes be predicted?

Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 29, 2023

Answer to Question no 5..to plate tectonics

 

Generally I try to answer the question asked ,the next day.
Here in case of question no 5- I do not have clear answer as to why plate tectonics can not correctly estimate the built up stresses on a given plate boundry and there by predict the impending major quake with fair amount of accuracy.
  As an Engineering Graduate,what I know is ...
..In a given equation if I have only one unknown figure ,I can find it out easly.
  If I can find out ,by laboratory test the shearing strength required for a sample from deep within the plate boundry,to give way ,I shoukd be able to predict major quake ( after taking in account factor of safety.

1 comment:

Roger Hunter said...

amit;

how would you get a testable sample of rock from 700 km down?

Roger